What We're Campaigning For
Our Clean Air Pledges to Islington
On May 8th, Islington Green Party launched four key pledges to improve the air we breathe and tackle the rising levels of pollution across the borough.
The pledges are the first set of policy announcements from Islington the Green Party in the run up to the General Election on 8th June. The Greens, Islington’s second party, have promised to:
- Create a new Clean Air Act: tackle the sources of modern day air pollution, enshrine the right to breathe into UK law, and ensure the UK becomes a world leader in the new technologies and industries that will help us clean up our air
- Fine the cheating car manufacturers : set out a plan for how companies who cheated emissions testing would be fined. Despite a $14.7bn settlement in the US, Volkswagen, for example, has yet to pay any damages in the EU - an equivalent fine in the UK could raise more than £8 billion from Volkswagen alone
- Expand the proposed Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ): limit the most polluting vehicles from entering London’s ULEZ and ensure that it covers the whole of Islington before the current proposal of 2021 and extend it to outer London as well
- Enable walking and cycling across the borough: Islington residents and visitors need to have convenient and safe alternatives to driving their cars so we need to review our streets and transport infrastructure to enable safe walking and cycling for all.
Read more about our campaign here.
Council Tax Referendum
Islington Green Party has launched a public consultation to ask whether Islington residents would support an additional 5% increase in Council Tax to prevent proposed cuts to adult social care, children’s services and services for people with learning disabilities.
The Labour council is already proposing a 1.99% increase in Council Tax, as well as a precept of 3% to fund social care. The Greens are consulting Islington residents on the idea of calling for a council tax referendum to raise council tax by an additional 5%.
You can give your opinions on the idea by completing our survey here. Please do share with your friends, colleagues and local Islington networks.
In 2011 we published a Citizen Science project showing air pollution above legal limits. We've replicated that study 5 years later and recorded increases in air pollution at every site tested. You can read more about the results here. We found NO2 pollution above legal limits at:
- 174% on Drayton Park
- 173% at Highbury Corner
- 166% at Highbury Place
You can read more about our air pollution campaigns here
Holloway Road Campaign
Down the spine of Islington is Holloway Road. It's a road that many of us travel down, shop on or live along. The liveability of the area is something that impacts so many of us we're looking to get your views on how to improve Holloway Road and our borough. Complete our petition here to let us know your views.
We want to start a local conversation about how we can improve such a major thoroughfare in our borough. Your ideas will help us construct a community-led vision for Holloway Road. Over the years we've fought campaigns about the dangerous levels of air pollution, lack of cycling facilities and the huge amount of traffic. Your voices can really help us push the local council to take action!
Click here to complete our survey on Holloway Road
We're campaigning to reshape Islington and Britain for the common good - starting with:
- End austerity and create over one million jobs
- A new wealth tax on the top 1%
- A Robin Hood Tax on the banks
- Increase the minimum wage to £10 an hour by 2020
- A referendum on the terms of any final deal with Europe, including the choice to reject a bad deal and remain part of the EU
- Protection of the rights of EU citizens in the UK
- Protection of our environmental and human rights law
- Opposition to the UK becoming a tax haven, putting the interests of the wealthy above the needs of the many
- Keep the NHS public
- Repeal the Health and Social Care Act 2012
- Free social care for over-65s
- Improve mental health care and awareness
- Scrap tuition fees
- Reinstate maintenance grants
- Fight for the rights of EU students to study here, and British students to study abroad
- Give the vote to 16 year olds
- Abolish the Bedroom Tax
- Build 500,000 social rented homes
- End 'Right to Buy'
- Cap rents and introduce longer tenancies
- Return the railways to public hands
- Introduce an immediate 10% cut in fares
- Halt HS2 and airport expansion
- Promote walking and cycling through better infrastructure
- Scrap university tuition fees
- Promote a comprehensive system
- Bring Academies and Free Schools into the Local Authority system
- Ensure access to education for life
- Take serious action on climate change
- Phase out fossil and nuclear energy
- Invest in renewable generation, flood defences and building insulation
- Reduce pollution and promote clean air
Please contact Benali Hamdache, Election Coordinator if you would like to get involved in campaining in any of these areas.
Please email email@example.com